The big guns…well…almost… for now…lol

Monday, November 1, 2010

I’ve always been a fan of gaming and graphics. Its been a while since I’ve been using my trusty xfx 8600gt. It was good, no complaints. Could play a variety of games including the more recent modern warfare 2 and also hawx. However it was starting to show its aging symptoms such as frequent overheating and a lack in performance when playing new generation games such as assassin’s creed II and NFS shift.

It was time I’d decided, time to once again…upgrade… little did I know that this upgrade would literally take my pc to a whole new level. Anyway, it all began with my regular surveys and reviews on graphic card. Being an nvidia user all the way, I though it was only wise to stick to it. But after comparing and reading more reviews as well as taking benchmark tests, ATI proved to be more of a better buy compared to Nvidia. In the end it was a battle between 2 cards, the xfx 9800gt and the xfx hd4850.

In other words, it was a battle between Nvidia’s Phsyx feature and ATI’s AA capabilities. In the end…went for the ATI. Thought would just give it a shot and see how much better…or worst… it might be when compared to nvidia. Bought it from a shop and damn,….the box looked gorgeous. Packing was good, and the card is huge!…well… it seems huge because my casing is a rather mid sized one. lol. As far as graphics go, the 4850 really did proved itself much more worthy than nvidia’s 9800gt. It’s no surprise though…with 800 stream processors packed in the ATI card, there is no defeating its 24x AA capability.

However my card’s performance was capped by both my motherboard and processor . Games still lagged a little and I couldn’t take it. I decided to upgrade my processor from a dual core to a quad core…being an amd fan. I decided to go the amd athlon II X4 635 processor. It was worth the buy, the game went smoothly. Now as for the motherboard, my mom wanted to give me dad a pc as a bday present. She insisted on building one. I managed to find a good MSI motherboard with AMD/ATI chipset. My previous motherboard was an asus with Nvidia chipset which didn’t really click along that well with the ATI card. So with the new motherboard, came a new ram. Since my old board was DDR2 and this new one is DDR3.

So, my entire system has been changed yet again and I don’t see any signs of stopping anytime soon! =) Here are some pics to indulge in =)

PA140330

A glossy box…the trademark of XFX’s packaging..

PA140332

The big dog now…against the big dog then

PA140333

Very well packaged and well designed

PA140335

Neatly arranged to conceal the hidden power underneath

PA140337

The sleeping dragon awakening

PA140339

Awesome and effective heatsink design by XFX

PA140340

Just to give you a perception of how big this card was

PA140342

3 way crossfire capability…coming soon! ;)

0 comments:

Post a Comment